23 February 2009

Addendum--THE DUTCH BABY

So I TOTALLY forgot to mention the Dutch Baby. I meant to, I swear! I even looked up recipes online to see if the Dutch Baby was real, or if it was something my crazy sister had invented. Nope--it is real. Here are some pictures, gratuitously stolen from the internet, of what a Dutch Baby is...

http://www.kissyourshadow.com/images/blog/012207_dutch_baby_4.jpghttp://mary.brodd.net/photos/dutch_baby.jpg
http://timandalison.com/images/Random/food/whole_dutch_baby.jpg

It's kind of like a popover, but instead of many small ones you end up with a big giant one. Ellen wouldn't tell me what she was making for dessert, but she did have me help with mixing up the batter and pulsing it with the blender. (The important verb there is pulse. You pulse it, for thirty seconds. Very important. Kate timed me.) Because you bake it in a frying pan in the oven, I thought it might have been creme brulee or something like that, so I asked Ellen if this was a dessert that was served in finer restaurants. She just looked at me and laughed. Nope.

So you eat the Dutch Baby sort of like a popover, or like fried dough-- you slice it like a pie, and you can put honey or jam or powdered sugar on it. When ours came out of the oven, it looked a little like a Dutch shoe before it deflated. It was good, but weird. I mean, who names a dessert a "Dutch Baby"? Would it be any more appetizing if it were called a "German Fetus"?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Mwahahahahahah - and now I know where your blog is! ;)

(BTW, my personal stuff ends up at mazlynn.livejournal.com - although I don't post all that often there, especially lately since most of the things I have of interest to post about are baby stuff, so it's mostly just filled with random internet memes.)