28 April 2010

Adventures in Teaching

I love teaching. I love every day that I spend with the kids. They are incredible, and funny, and smart, and you would not believe what they say. I am a little worried about what they say to their parents about me, because we talk about some pretty wacky things, but I think that's pretty important for kids who might not otherwise get the chance to learn about the world.

So here are three teaching stories for you. This first one, I was teaching my little math group, where there are two little girls. That particular day, the first little girl was DRIVING ME NUTS-- all whiny and argumentative and pushing all the buttons. My patience was at an end when the second little girl did something dumb-- I can't even remember what it was, just something stupid like she forgot an equals sign or something, and I SNAPPED at her. I looked over at this little girl and she just froze, her eyes slowly welling up--and she wears these thick glasses that make her eyes look ten thousand times bigger than they really are, and all I could see were those tears! And then MY eyes started welling up, and I started apologizing profusely. Poor little girl! Well, the entire rest of the class she pretty much ignored me (not that I blame her!), but when it was time to leave she slipped me this little note.


A few days later this same little girl must have truly forgiven me, because she stuck this note on the wall. (We occasionally use sign language in my room, just because I think it's an important thing for kids to learn-- not to mention it's fun!)


And this last thing... I have no idea what it is. One of the boys drew it. I think he said it was an "elephant wiener dog". Whatever it is, it haunts my dreams.

No comments: