12 December 2007

A Hamster, a Good Lunch and the Beginning of Sock #2

I got two Christmas cards today-- one from Mum and Dad, and the other from The Crazy Sisters and the little hamster (who is named now-- he's a he, and he has a name! I can't believe it! And according to the Sisters he isn't a hamster any more-- he's more of a.... a bump. But he'll always be a hamster to me). I haven't the faintest idea what I'm going to do for Christmas cards this year-- mass emails are too lame, but the idea of making, signing, addressing and sending dozens of cards makes me want to scream!

(This picture is the hamster at 11 weeks. He's much bigger now!)

Today was a good day-- I had a fun time with the kids, which means nobody melted down and I kept things reasonably hoppin'. I hung out with one of my good teacher friends at lunchtime, and we found that we had not one but two mutual friends which is incredible-- such a small world we live in. I love it. I also got to hang out with some kids that I don't know well but who are cool, and we made each other laugh. It was great.

So I started Dad's second sock-- I hate ribbing! 1 1/2 inches of ribbing is hell! This part, and the heel flap, are the two parts that just take forever. Gaaaah. But I love working with this yarn-- it's so dark and subtle, and because I'm using an 80-stitch pattern instead of my usual 60, the Interlacements isn't striping like it did on my other socks-- it's more scattered and subtle. And once I get off this dumb ribbing it will go fast-- I love the Seed Stitch pattern in the Thuja socks.

No comments: