16 December 2007

A Snowy Day


6-11 inches expected today-- lovely. Do you think we'll have school tomorrow? I would love to have another day off-- I really don't care how late we go into June. I don't care about the future as much as I do the present! :) And I certainly could use a day off to work on things (like socks...).

So last night I traveled with my friend Michelle to a teachers' party at our principal's house-- it was lovely. she has a gorgeous house. I sometimes forget how lovely houses can be when I live in a drafty squalid little trailer. The house is out in the country and has plenty of room for her big family (oodles of children, mostly middle- and high-school aged) and there's things like a pool table and a home theater and little nooks and crannies-- it's hard to have nooks and crannies in a trailer. I loved it. The kids did a great job decorating. It was beautiful. I got to talk with a lot of people I don't normally get to-- the music teacher, the technology guy, people from the other schools... And the food. Mmmmmmm, the food. Deviled eggs and cream puffs and spaghetti and peanut butter fudge bars and spinach dip... 10,000 calories in one evening. It was glorious. So good. And I got to hang out with Michelle, which I don't often get to do because we're so busy. Afterwards we went to Wal*Mart to shop for our Secret Santa recipients and we got laughing over those corny stuffed animals that sing and dance. This one dancing turkey kept tap-dancing to the left and proceeded to make inappropriate advances on an unsuspecting penguin. I was so afraid we were going to get kicked out we were laughing so hard.

So I am still waiting for my order from The Loopy Ewe-- it's been more than a week but I think it's just the weather holding everyone up. I can't finish Dad's socks without the hunter green yarn. Maybe they've delivered it today-- I doubt it, but I'll check when I go out to shovel. I've turned the heel on the second sock and started the gusset decreases and went back and fixed some goofs I made on the instep (my nice tidy little ribs weren't lined up properly, but thankfully they're easy to fix by dropping stitches and doing surgery with a crochet hook-- I REFUSE to frog more than a row or two, especially if it means reknitting a heel-- if I can't fix it with a crochet hook then I just let it be and hope nobody scrutinizes it too closely). These socks will go fast now that the heel is done-- I hope the toe yarn comes soon! :)

Okay, funny teacher story time. So I was in bus line, and there are these little first grade twin boys in my line. One twin is always picking on the other, and the picked-on little guy came to me for help. "My brother just called me an asshole!" he said, and before I could respond to that, he continued: "And what's worse, what's really really worse, he also called me--- the... the... THE SHUT-UP WORD!"

....now, as a teacher, how is one supposed to react to that? I think I just stood there, mouth agape, and mumbled something about brothers not always making good choices (or something).

And, it turns out, the other twin also said a word so heinous that it must not be spoken aloud, so the little boy not only whispered it, but also spelled it. "He-- he called me a F-A-T-T-Y!"

Oh heavens. Children. *SIGH*

No comments: