15 February 2008

Siiiiiick Day

I could not get out of bed this morning. I made it to the phone, called the school secretary, and then crawled into bed. Thankfully both she and I were prepared-- she had some subs available and I had written sub plans yesterday. The school nurse had checked my ear yesterday and she said the eardrum was bulging a little--- which took me back to when I was eight years old and suffered horrible ear infections. She said this one wasn't terribly bad-- I should just go home and nurse it. So here I am.

Now that it's the afternoon and I don't feel like sleeping any more, I'm listening to "Down Memory Lane" with Toby Leboutillier-- there is nothing like listening to scratchy records of Al Jolson and Benny Goodman when you are sick. Dad said he went to school with Toby Leboutillier-- I'm glad I checked the website because it is absolutely bizarre to see that he was a physics major! He certainly has the voice for long physicsy lectures... "And Newton's Law number... anyone, anyone? number two, which would make the velocity be... anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?"

[Edited on 2/19/08-- it wasn't Toby Leboutillier that Dad went to school with, but rather The Humble Farmer. (I tend to get my Friday-night volunteer radio people mixed up) I have no idea if that guy was a physics major, but his voice would also make a great lecturer. I hate to use the word "soporific", but...]

Outside my window several blue jays have been congregating under the pine tree. Their footprints look like raptor footprints. I'm scared.



On the knitting front, the Hamster blankie is sixteen inches long. If it weren't for the color pattern that is slowly emerging I think I would die from boredom. My estimations were waaaaaay off-- I thought that each panel would be 18 inches tall or so, but I still have several tennis-ball-sized balls of blue yarn that I can use. Since the total width will be 28" or so (this left panel is 14" wide) I am just going to keep knitting until the total length approaches 28" or until I die from boredom. Running out of yarn won't be an issue.

(the yarn marker, by the way, indicates the 12" mark.)


I love how the color pattern is almost argyle-ish (I googled "argyle" and this random squid came up. I haven't knitted a stuffed animal in a long time. I know of a certain sister who might be interested in something like that...). I also love how the pattern abruptly quits (just below the yarn marker). I'm just about to attach another ball-- let's see what happens next, shall we?

Speaking of my random sister, I haven't talked with her in weeks and weeks. I call her but I rarely hear back from her (her only reply to me was through my father-- "STOP CALLING ME!!!"). However, she did leave this message on my MySpace page:

Dear Emily,

I am alive.

I Love your Blog.

That is all.

love,

The youngest offspring

.......So at least I know she is alive, even though she doesn't communicate with the outside world very often! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

I am sick too.

I have a temp. It is high.

Does that make up for my lack of communication?

I am getting ready to do statistics homework.

It is hard to do statistics homework when you have a temp.

eww.

I am hungry.

What did you eat today?

I am very pro food.

I am in school right now.

I am in the library.

I wonder if this thing has spell check.

If it doesnt this comment could be interesting.

I am watching Roger and Me. Have you seen sikko (sp????)?

I havent yet.

I want to.

I really need a nap.

I like sleep.

There, how is that for a communication.

I like you.

-Ellen