27 January 2008

The Broken Farmhouse

So yesterday I had to go out to get some groceries, and on the way I decided to stop at one of my favorite abandoned houses to take some pictures.

I have no idea who once lived here, but it's on this beautiful little piece of land in the middle of no where-- there are some modern houses up and down this road, and some homes that may have been farmhouses but now are just family places. I think I will call this place the "Broken Farmhouse." When I was little my Nana and Grampie lived in a house in the country, and when you looked out one of the back windows you could see a little brown house far off on the other side of one of the fields. The roof was sorta caving in and the windows were all smashed, and we called it the Broken House. I was fascinated by it, even at such a young age (I was maybe seven or eight, perhaps even younger). Who once lived there? Why did they let their house rot and splinter? Why didn't somebody take care of it? Eventually people bought the property and the building was renovated, but we still sometimes called it the Broken House.

This building here has many of the same qualities as the Broken House-- it's in the country, there are fields and brush piles around, and even a few old apple trees. It's on this quiet road, all by its lonesome, just sitting amongst the skeletal trees. It's a fair distance from the nearest neighbor, but close enough so you could still borrow a cup of sugar.




How old is this house? There's evidence of it once having electricity, and you can see the TV antennas on the roof.

That front door certainly isn't contemporary, however...


I decided to take a walk around to the back. Other people had been on the property too-- there were snowmobile tracks and boot prints in the snow, and I really didn't think anyone would mind if I just took a quick trip around the house to take pictures (I wouldn't go in the house without permission, though I am tempted)...


This was a surprise-- the backside of the house is red!


Now this is where I started noticing something really strange. Remember those snowmobile tracks and boot prints? Well, I thought that I could see trails all around the backside of the property, all around the house. Look at this old tree and (what I presume was once a) compost bin:

And all around the backyard:




Weird. And the trails all seemed to converge under this apple tree:



It wasn't until I scrutinized the trails and found this isolated footprint that I figured out who had made these trails:



The broken farmhouse had become a deer convention center! Cool! They seem to hang out by the tree a lot. I wonder if they were eating the fallen apples and the bark. Since the back door is wide open I wonder if they ever wander inside:


It's just interesting, how houses become abandoned and nature starts reclaiming it. I think this sort of thing is so very beautiful-- sad, but beautiful.

No comments: