05 January 2008

Slow going



So I'm working on Cassady's socks but it's slow going. It takes a while to decrease around the calf (I started with 96 sts). But now that I'm at the 4th decrease it seems faster.

I bought a humidifier yesterday because my old one broke. This one is nice-- it boils the water and it sounds all bubbling and happy--kind of like a little stream or maybe a hot spring mud pot-- either way it is very nice. The kitties are scared of it-- it makes noises and it's wet! However, Zeekie really digs the box.



In other news, I found the coolest thing at Walmart yesterday-- Sesame Street Old School! Oh, man, it's great. I watched the 1974 episode this morning. Everything is OLD-- er, rather, young. All of the people I remember are there-- Bob, Luis, Maria (I had forgotten that when I was little I thought Maria was the most beautiful person in the world), and Mr. Hooper. All the kids wear tight-fitting turtlenecks and plaid pants-- it's so cute. And some of the Muppets don't sound right-- Bert is really nasal, almost Lawrence-Welky. You can definitely see how they have changed over the years. This is Vol. 2-- I will definitely have to hunt down Vol. 1. And even though I wasn't born until the late seventies and thus would only remember the episodes from the early 80's, they definitely recycled lots of clips as the years went on. I remember so much of this stuff-- the old gags, the improv-- it's great.
The saddest thing in the world though is the disclaimer that this "material may not be appropriate for today's preschool child." Oh my gosh, in the clip where they go to a farm to show where milk comes from, how dare they show whole milk, not skim! And did I hear Bert say "I am happy and gay/that you have come to see my play"? Oh, for fear that people will shun this video for fear that it might unduly influence impressionable young minds... Oh, the humanity.

No comments: